Wednesday 18 February 2015

The Frieze above the Flower shop


When I published a photograph of this frieze above the Flower Shop at the end of Reynold Street in November 2007 Tom Wrigley wrote
"I am wondering if this frieze was not added at a later date, and is not original with this bulding. By looking at the brickwork I can see that the gable end has been renewed and the older hand made bricks reused. There are courses of much newer brick showing along the gable, over the windows and on the corner. This shop used to to be a fish mongers I'm sure.. it smelt nothing like a florists then."
A contribution to ABC Wednesday.

6 comments:

  1. Whether a fishmonger's or a florist's. the frieze is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool looking frieze. The history notes are interesting, too.
    The View from the Top of the Ladder

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well that's a bonus, Gerald! I love these decorations on buildings.Thanks!
    Wil, ABCW Team

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adds character...I like it♪ http://lauriekazmierczak.com/fiery-sunset/

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog